Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Monuments’ Category

Pambula Soldiers' Memorial, photo taken 2011

The official opening of the Pambula Soldiers’ Memorial took place in February 1936 and was reported in the Bega District News of 13 Feb. 1936.  The Memorial is made of Bega granite and was produced by Zeigler and Sons of Bega.  It had a chain fence and flagpole which were donated by Dr. Wing and Dr. Naomi Wing.  The opening involved many in the community with “A procession of returned soldiers, including some from Bega, Candelo and Eden, Boy Scouts and school children, marched from the School of Arts to the Memorial, headed by the Pambula Band.” (BDN 13 Feb. 1936)

Many speeches were made including one by Mr Walter Godfrey who spoke on behalf of the returned men.  He made particular mention of the “late Mrs Haywood” who had taken an “active part in all the welcomes to returned men and in organising for this memorial which had been her life’s ambition.” (BDN 13 Feb. 1936)

A list of names on the Memorial can be found at www.warmemorialsnsw.asn.au

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

The Boer War Memorial, also called  the Soldiers’ Memorial, was dedicated on 6 September 1905 and lists the names of men from Bega and the surrounding area who fought and died during the Boer War. 

According to the Bega Standard newspaper of 5 Sept. 1905, there was an extensive ceremony on the day the memorial was unveiled including a street procession, formal programme, grand concert and a dance. The concert and dance were used to raise funds to “keep green the memory of the forgotten dead.”

The Bega Mounted Rifle Squadron served in South Africa during the Boer War and were led by Major Frederick Bland who was a local solicitor.

Read Full Post »

Siting of clock tower.

The Bega town clock is a memorial to a local doctor named Montague Frederick Evershed who was “self-denying, self-forgetting and great-hearted” (The Story of the settlement and development of Bega by W. A. Bayley, p. 102).

After his death in 1927, locals  raised £450 for a memorial to the good doctor.  The clock was dedicated in May 1930 but there was obviously local debate about the siting of the memorial as a letter to the editor of the Bega District News of 11 October 1928 shows.

“Interested One” suggested the clock be situated at “the corner known as Red Flag.”  The writer was concerned that the Gipps Street position (where it was eventually positioned and still is) would “be liable to cause accidents, as the turn into Carp street from Gipps street is dangerous…”

I wonder which corner does Red Flag refer to and why?

Read Full Post »

%d bloggers like this: